Country Churches

Salem Lutheran Church and Cemetery

East Marshall County

St. Bridget’s Catholic, on the National Register of Historic Places. The earliest Catholic parish in the county was organized in the Irish settlement of St. Bridget’s in 1862. This building (1908) was designed by George Stauduhar of Rock Island, Iowa, and has a high vaulted ceiling with no visible supporting pillars along the sides of the nave. Only three churches in Kansas are built with this design. Two masses a year are held here, on Memorial Day weekend and in early November. On 29th Terrace between Bison and Cherokee Roads. For tours contact Terry Stallbaumer, 785-736-2910. View Map

Salem Lutheran and Mission Covenant Lutheran, two churches a mile apart in the “Swede Settlement” area. Salem Lutheran was founded by Swedish immigrants in 1874. Six years later some dissenting church members broke away to found Mission Covenant. Regular services are held at both churches. 26th and 27th Roads on Navaho Road. View Map

West Marshall County

Hermansberg Immanual Lutheran Church

Hermansberg Immanuel Lutheran. Chartered in 1869, this church was the sixth Lutheran congregation in Kansas, and the mother church for seven other Lutheran congregations in the area. The present structure (1901) has recently been renovated. Services are held here regularly. For tours contact Harold and Loretta Bargmann, 785-744-3529. On 3rd Road north of Eagle Road. View Map

Immanuel Lutheran (Stateline) occupies a striking setting near U.S. 77 at the Nebraska border. The church was organized in 1883. The present church was built in 1904 and has been in use ever since. The steeple is lighted at night year-round. 1/4 mile west of Highway 77 at the Nebraska line. View Map

Danish Lutheran Church and Cemetery. This church building was used from 1879 until 1955. In the cemetery, which is also called “Evergreen,” are unusual decorative grave markers crafted in iron by early blacksmith Hans Hanson. On 3rd Road between Limestone and Matador Roads. View Map

Site of Czech Presbyterian, (1893-1973), established by Czech settlers, closed and torn down in the 1970′s. Marker on the northwest corner of 8th Road and Cyclone Lane. View Map