Doughboy statue, commemorating local men and women who served in World War I, is the only monument of its kind in the county. Northeast corner at 5th and Maple in center of Axtell.
Rose Hill Cemetery has an original Civil War cannon in the first driveway. From First Street on the west side of Axtell continue north, cross the railroad tracks, continue as the road turns to the left.
Marker for the site of the David Smith Inn, a stage station on the Overland Stage Route. 2 miles north of Axtell on 30th Road, just south of Granite Road.
St. Bridget’s Cemetery. A marker to right of the central figure of Jesus has the names of the six McGrath children who drowned one day in 1897 when the family buggy overturned in a flooded creek. On 30th Road ¾ mile north of Deer Trail Road.
St. Bridget’s Church. National Register of Historic Places. The first Catholic parish in the county, organized by the Irish community in this area. This building, dedicated in 1908, has a high vaulted ceiling with no visible supporting pillars. Only three churches in Kansas are built with this design. Masses are held here twice a year, on Memorial Day weekend and in early November. On 29th Terrace between Bison and Cherokee Roads. For tours contact Terry Stallbaumer, 785-736-2910.
This town and the surrounding area rests on a thick layer of limestone covering more than 100 acres. Quarrying has gone on here since the earliest days. Local contacts: LaVada FitzGerald, 785-353-2575; Jean Floyd, 785-353-2463.
Beattie Heritage Museum and Archives. Museum open the first Sunday of each month 1-5 p.m., and by appointment. On north side of Main Street.
FitzGerald kiln. Built by James FitzGerald in the 1860s. Restored in 1974. Limestone blocks were burned in the kiln for a week and the resulting powder was mixed with sand to make a mortar used in the construction of stone buildings. South side of Elm Street a short distance west of 21st Road.
FitzGerald house, 1875, built by James FitzGerald, founder of Beattie. The rock came from FitzGerald’s quarry, the mortar from his kiln. Private property. Drive-by only.
Hawk house. Built by drugstore owner Marion Hawk, betwee 1898 and 1900. Private property. Drive-by only.
Established in 1906, a town with a rich Irish heritage. Its location also makes it a good train-watching site. Contact: Pat and Ed Brady, 785-396-4396.
St. Joseph’s Catholic Church and Cemetery. The limestone church was built between 1912 and 1916. The first cemetery burial was in 1866. On 27th Road between Bobcat and Cyclone Lanes.
Lillis high school gymnasium. A WPA project, built 1936-1938, and dedicated as a memorial to 21 Lillis community men who served in World War I. In the 1930s Depression, locally abundant limestone was used in many projects under a federal program, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to provide work for the unemployed. After a windstorm took off the roof in 1997, local citizens raised money to restore it. On Register of Historic Kansas Places. On 28th Road north of Bobcat Lane.
On Highway 99 at the Kansas-Nebraska border. Highway 99 through this area is a beautiful drive with light traffic. It connects to major highway systems in both Kansas and Nebraska.
Established in 1869. The depot on East 2nd Street was built in 1869 and is the oldest existing depot in the county and possibly in the state. It has been preserved by local effort. The structure next door, built in 1885 as a hotel for the depot, now houses the city hall and library, with a museum on the second floor – 102 Main Street. The Curtis House at 408 Elm is private property – drive-by only. Contact: Dorothy Tilley, 785-382-6256. Vermillion can be reached directly from U.S. 36 on Highway 187, the shortest Kansas state highway.
Established in 1887. The school marker has an engraving of the town’s former two-story schoolhouse. Southwest corner of 26th and Tumbleweed Roads.
Established in 1909 along a new railroad connecting Topeka and Marysville. The Winifred Baptist Church still holds services. Winifred State Bank (1911) was later used as a post office. Private property. Drive-by only. At 18th and Pheasant Roads.