Oketo & environs – contact Kent Obermeyer, 785-744-3497
Oketo Museum, in the Z. H. Moore store. This 1884 building is on the National Register of Historic Places. The museum has Otoe Indian artifacts, early telephone equipment, and replicas of a barbershop and a general store.
Oketo State Bank Building, dating from the early 1900’s, now part of the Oketo Museum. The bank was established in 1889 by Z. H. Moore.
Oketo City Hall was called the “Opera House” when it was first built in 1900. Traveling stock companies produced plays here for winter entertainment. Now used as a community center.
Oketo jail. Built in 1895, and equipped with rings in the floor for chaining prisoners.
Moore house, 1904. General store and quarry owner Z. H. Moore and his wife Lavinia could not agree on whether to build a stone or frame house, so the first story is limestone and the second is frame with shingle siding.
Oketo Cut-off marker. A shortcut used for several months in 1862-63 after the owner of the Overland Stage line had a falling-out with Marysville and decided his stagecoaches would bypass that town altogether. Just south of the marker is the grave of Louis Tibbets, who died in June 1861. On 12th road .3 mi south of Cherokee Road.
Oketo stage line marker. On Cherokee Road just west of 11th Road.
Redtop/Scully School. “Scully” was the name of a wealthy Irish family which owned and rented out thousands of acres in Marshall County and elsewhere in the Midwest. This building was used from 1898 until 1953. At 14th and Cherokee Roads.